Trust for Nature is a not-for-profit organisation that works to protect native plants and wildlife in cooperation with private landowners. Created in 1972 under the Victorian Conservation Trust Act 1972 (Vic), Trust for Nature has a proud history of working across the government, not-for profit and private sectors to achieve permanent protection of important conservation land across Victoria.
We have a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to use your skills in natural resource management to make a meaningful contribution to protecting nature in Victoria.
Reporting to the Area Manager, North West, you will work closely with the Regional Operations Team, and external stakeholders to deliver key conservation projects across the North Central and Mallee catchments. You will focus on planning, executing and monitoring conservation projects that contribute to habitat improvement, working with a wide range of partners from government, catchment management authorities, Landcare and individual landholders.
You will bring excellent written and verbal communication, scientific curiosity and attention to detail, the ability to talk and explain projects and approaches to conservation science, liaise with many different stakeholders, and the maturity to work within a team and manage conflict.
In this role you will:
· Support the Area Manager to scope new projects.
· With support from the Area Manager, manage projects across the North Central and Mallee catchments
· Assist with the on-ground delivery of projects, including managing contractors.
· Participate in fieldwork activities, including site visits, ecological assessments, species monitoring, and data collection.
· Prepare project reports, presentations, and documentation for internal and external stakeholders.
· Maintain accurate records of project activities, expenditures, and data collected.
· Establish and maintain relationships with project stakeholders, including DEECA, CMAs, Traditional Owners, Landcare groups, Conservation Management Networks, landholders and others.
· Work collaboratively with the Area Manager, North West and the Regional Operations Team.
· Comply with the OHS Management System, including completing inductions and training, maintaining CPR and First Aid refresher, following policies and procedures, reporting hazards and near misses and contributing to a safe workplace.
Full details of the role can be found in the attached Position Description.
We are searching for someone who is self-motivated and shares our passion for protecting nature in Victoria. You will bring;
· Relevant tertiary qualifications in Science, Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management or relevant discipline
· Sound plant identification skills, and the ability to identify and map vegetation communities and their ecology
· Sound knowledge of conservation land management principles and issues relating to protection and management of native habitat
· Strong verbal and written communication skills with proven ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with private landholders and colleagues in the environmental sector
· Experience in working safely in a team environment, both in the office and field
· Understanding of the policies, roles and services provided by other government and non-government agencies
· Demonstrated skills in Microsoft Office, GPS, GIS software (ArcGIS desirable), database management (Salesforce desirable).
Please send in your resume along with a cover letter that responds to the key selection criteria to email@example.com. Applications will close on Wednesday 30 August and we will look to invite shortlisted candidates to interview in early September.
Please note, a National Police Check is required to be conducted as part of the selection process. Our employment practices are inclusive and based on equal opportunity principles. A positive result from a police check would only preclude employment in certain circumstances.
If you need further information to better understand the role or have any queries, please contact David Dore, North West Area Manager – 0491 107 556.