Trust for Nature is a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to protecting nature in Victoria. Our vison is that Victoria’s most threatened native plants and wildlife are protected for future generations. To achieve this, we work closely with private landholders, government, organisations, Traditional Owners and businesses to help restore, protect and manage biodiversity on private land.
Our team is made up of passionate people who work with communities throughout Victoria and take practical action to care for and nurture nature. Together, we can make a difference to Victoria’s natural environment, would you like to join us?
In 2022 the Trust for Nature Board made a commitment for Trust for Nature to facilitate a transfer of ownership of Neds Corner Station to its Traditional Owners—the First People of the Millewa-Mallee Aboriginal Corporation (FPMMAC). This decision represents a major contribution to self-determination for Aboriginal Victorians, and the largest transfer of private land in Victoria to Traditional Owners
The Senior Biodiversity and Cultural Heritage Advisor is responsible for providing leadership and advice on conservation, ecological and cultural heritage matters for the transfer of ownership of Neds Corner to the First Peoples of the Millewa Mallee Aboriginal Corporation (FPMMAC).
Reporting to the Neds Corner Transition Project Manager, the key responsibilities of this role include:
- In partnership with FPMMAC and DELWP, support the roadmap design for the transfer that incorporates best practice examples of Indigenous governance and land management across Australia;
- Enhance Trust for Nature’s existing Conservation Action Plan (CAP) for Neds Corner to develop cultural heritage management objectives into the CAP in partnership with FPMMAC
- Facilitating and advising the co-design process with FPMMAC that seeks to establish an appropriate covenant to protect the conservation and cultural values of Neds Corner in perpetuity;
- Representing Trust for Nature in obtaining external approvals necessary to facilitate the transfer of Neds Corner to FPMMAC;
- Representing Trust for Nature in external stakeholder engagement that relates to the transfer of Neds Corner to FPMMAC.
- Independently lead technical investigations and provide scientific, technical specialist advice and recommendations for action
We are searching for someone with a background in ecologically with speciality experience in the following areas;
- Proven experience working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and organisations
- Knowledge and understanding of best practice examples of Indigenous governance and land management across Australia
- Relevant ecological and cultural heritage work experience and qualifications
- Project management and technical problem-solving, usually under limited direction
- High-level report writing skills
- Demonstrated experience in independently preparing scientific, technical and specialist advice
- Relevant expertise in leading complex co-design processes
- A understanding of the ecological features of the Neds Corner property is highly
A base salary of $90,936 – $103,175 p.a plus 10.5% superannuation. Please note this is a 24 month fixed term contract position based in Melbourne.
Applications will close on Sunday 3 July, however we intend to move quickly with this role and will be reviewing applications as they come through.
Trust for Nature is committed to building a inclusive workplace and we strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities and people from culturally diverse backgrounds.
Please note, a National Police Check is required to be conducted as part of the selection process, our practices are inclusive and based on equal opportunity principles. A positive result from a police check would only preclude employment in certain circumstances.
Trust for Nature is committed to providing and maintaining a working environment which is safe and without risk to the health of its employees consistent with the Trust obligations under the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (Vic).Therefore, there is a requirement that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (or be exempt from vaccination due to medical reasons) in order to undertake duties outside of their homes. Prior to commencement of employment with the Trust you will need to provide evidence that you are vaccinated against COVID-19.
If you need further information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Senior Biodiversity and Cultural Heritage Advisor