Trust for Nature acknowledges the Traditional Owners of Neds Corner Station, the First Peoples of the Millewa Mallee.
Ngintait Traditional Owners lived on and managed the land that includes Neds Corner for many thousands of years.
The property features numerous important cultural heritage sites including ancestral burials, scar trees that provided bark for canoes, shields and other items, oven mounds, fireplaces, stone tool artefacts and shell middens.
Neds Corner is culturally important to Traditional Owners today and they participate and contribute knowledge to its ongoing management.
From colonisation to conservation
Following colonisation and dispossession of the land from its traditional custodians, the property was hit hard by sheep and cattle grazing, and cropping.
Neds Corner was first settled by Europeans for agriculture in 1849. The property was named after a shepherd called Ned who worked for leaseholder Edward Bagot.
After World War l, some of the leaseholds were broken up for soldier settlements.
By 1948, the property was sold to the Kidman Pastoral Company, becoming part of its agricultural empire which encompassed three per cent of Australia.
Trust for Nature purchased the property in 2002 and under its management, in collaboration with volunteers, donors and other supporters, the landscape of Neds Corner Station has been transformed. Its significant cultural sites are being protected and its native vegetation restored through working with Traditional Owners.